Friday, December 26, 2008

What's normal?

What does everyone think about as they sit in the sterile, clean, waiting room? Do they all wonder if they're the only ones with any problems? Have any of them tried to commit suicide? They all look normal enough, but what are they hiding? What deep dark secrets do they hold? One woman looks extremely nervous as though she feels she doesn't belong here. One man seems completely indifferent, like he really doesn't care if he gets better or simply blows someone's brains out the back of their head. The last man looks confused and slightly irritated, like he knows he needs to be here, but hates the fact that he is. And me, you might ask? Well, I know I need to be here. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to be, but we don't always get what we wish for. The people behind the desk busy themselves with their work, pretending that us waiting room people are perfectly normal; no crazies here! Yet, sometimes I wonder what normal is. Everyone has their little quirks, but where do you draw the line? Some people go to therapy to find meaning in their lives, others actually have issues, while some just want attention. Me? Well, I fit into the "actually have issues" category. A cocktail of medications and therapy keep me balanced and happy, without them, well its just not a pretty sight.

No comments: